Microsoft hosts an event on Wednesday, 10/26/16
What to expect...
Microsoft is expected to take the wraps off some new hardware, and coming just after Google's hardware event (and just before Apple's hardware event) their timing couldn't be better - if you're a Windows or Surface fan. Some of the rumored devices include:
- Potentially a new Surface PC - desktop class computer
- Upgrades to the Surface Pro and Surface Book laptop computers
- A smart speaker alleged to be called "HomeHub" (an Amazon Echo/Google Home competitor)
- Maybe Windows 10 software upgrades as well (but Microsoft has another event on Nov 2 as well, which could dive more in depth into their latest software updates)
So if you are looking into getting a new Windows based PC, laptop, or are interested in what the new "connected smart home" craze is all about, you'll want to check back here for some updates on what was announced. But there's something else going on the very next day you'll want to check out as well - namely:
Apple hosts an event on Thursday, 10/27/16
What to expect...
Fans and professionals that use Apple's portable MacBook line of laptops have been bemoaning the lack of updates to theses machines for some time now. Well, apparently the wait is over. Invites for Apple's "Hello again" event are out and some of the rumors include:
- Refreshed MacBook Pros with lighter chassis, an OLED touchscreen bar replacing the row of function keys, and as much as 2TB of solid state drive storage
- The new MacBook Pro could also contain only USB-C connectors, replacing the existing USB-A, HDMI, SD card, AND the MagSafe charging connections
- Updates to the MacBook Air line, (although they are expected to be relatively minor)
- According to Engadget, there's also a report that there will be a new "13 inch MacBook" in addition to the existing 12 inch standard MacBook
Most analysts have been predicting the return of the MacBooks in a big way (the standard, Air, and Pro) and so this could be it. The new MacBook Pros in particular could be a big step forward with more power, more storage, and new features (like TouchID and the Magic Toolbar) built in. Check back with us next week and we'll have all the details. Finally, if you're thinking about picking up a new smartphone, there's one that's (finally!) going to be here next week:
LG's V20 will be in stores by Friday, 10/28/16
What to expect...
LG may actually have their latest large flagship smartphone available in stores for people to actually purchase it! After the debacle with the Galaxy Note 7, and the poor sales of the LG G5, the V20 being available in stores might be the shot in the arm that LG is looking for. The Friday 10/28 dates is the availability for T-Mobile, but its likely going to make its way to the other carriers as well by then. Here's a quick recap of what the V20 has to offer those interested:
- 5.7 inch QHD display, with a secondary display on top of it (for notifications and app shortcuts, among other things)
- Snapdragon 820 processor with the Adreno 530 GPU and 4GB of RAM
- 3200mah removable battery with an SD card slot that supports cards up to 256GB
- All metal chassis and dual rear cameras (one 16MP and one 8MP, for wide angle and telephoto shots) as well as a 5MP front facing camera for selfies
- For audiophiles, the Quad DAC (digital analog converter) inside the V20 promises to produce high quality sound output from the headphone jack into your headphones of choice
So if you are in the market for a new large display smartphone, the V20 might need to be on your list (along with a few others) - but we'll be sure to have some impressions of the device once its actually in stores.
Busy week next week right? Stay tuned to Silicon Theory for all the details as they are made available, and if you have any questions, hit our Inbox up at email@example.com